Hill’s Science Diet
⚠ Important recall information appears below.
Hill’s Science Diet was created in the 1930s by Dr. Mark L. Morris, a veterinarian who had originally created the food to aid a service dog named Buddy with kidney failure.
Hill’s Science Diet advertises that it is the No. 1 pet food recommended by veterinarians to promote good health in all life stages of pets; that it focuses on special needs for special diets; and that it has expanded globally to be available in more than 80 countries.
Hill’s produces dry and wet cat and dog foods under the labels Science Diet, Ideal Balance and Prescription Diet.
Hill’s Science Diet Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Science Diet Optimal Weight for Cats, Science Diet Perfect Weight for Dogs, Science Diet Optimal Care for Cats, Science Diet Advanced Fitness for Dogs, Prescription Diet k/d Feline Renal Health, Prescription Diet k/d Canine Renal Health, Prescription Diet d/d Feline Skin Support, Healthy Advantage Feline, Healthy Advantage Canine, as well as various treats for dogs and cats
Company: Hill’s Pet Nutrition, Inc.
Headquarters: 400 SW 8th Ave #101, Topeka, KS
Contact info: 1-800-445-5777
Also on Petful
See why dogs are getting amazing results with this dog food…
Has Science Diet Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. In November 2015, the company quietly initiated a market withdrawal (not a recall) of certain Science Diet canned dog foods because of labeling issues. Hill’s maintained that the food itself was fine. Here’s what we know about this.
Previously, in June 2014, Hill’s Science Diet voluntarily recalled 62 bags of Science Diet Adult Small & Toy Breed Dry Dog Food in California, Hawaii and Nevada because of potential salmonella contamination. In 2007, Hill’s was included in a recall of more than 40 brands of pet food that the FDA determined might contain melamine. All Science Diet Savory Cuts canned cat foods were pulled.
List of Hill’s Science Diet Recalls
Cause: Labeling problems. Announcement: Notice posted in some PetSmart stores, Nov. 28, 2015. What was recalled: This was actually a product withdrawal, rather than a recall. All date codes of the following canned dog foods were withdrawn:
- Science Diet Dog Adult Perfect Weight Chicken & Vegetables, 12.8 oz., UPC #5274229750
- Ideal Balance Slim & Healthy Chicken, 12.8 oz., UPC #5274230770
- Science Diet Dog Small & Toy Adult Gourmet Beef Entrée, 5.8 oz., UPC #5274249660
- Science Diet Dog Small & Toy Mature Gourmet Beef Entrée, 5.8 oz., UPC #5274249680
- Science Diet Dog Adult Beef Entrée, 13 oz., UPC #5274270390
- Science Diet Dog Adult Beef & Chicken Entrée, 13 oz., UPC #5274270400
- Science Diet Dog Mature Adult Gourmet Beef Entrée, 13 oz., UPC #5274270560
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: FDA report dated June 2, 2014. What was recalled: Science Diet Adult Small & Toy Breed dry dog food with “Best by” date and production code of #08 2015 M094 in the following size: 15.5 lbs. bags with SKU #9097 (distributed in California, Hawaii and Nevada).
Cause: Melamine. Announcement: Hill’s Pet company announcement dated April 1, 2007 (archived). What was recalled: Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry cat food.
Cause: Melamine. Announcement: FDA report dated March 16, 2007; Hill’s Pet company announcement dated March 27, 2007 (archived). What was recalled: All Science Diet Savory Cuts canned cat foods, which included the following in both 3 oz. and 5 oz. sizes:
- Science Diet Ocean Fish Dinner in Sauce Savory Cuts Kitten
- Science Diet Ocean Fish Dinner in Sauce Savory Cuts Adult
- Science Diet Chicken Dinner in Gravy Savory Cuts Adult
- Science Diet Beef Dinner in Gravy Savory Cuts Adult
- Science Diet Chicken Dinner in Gravy Savory Cuts Mature Adult 7+
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With Science Diet?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.