♥ No recalls.
The history of this company goes way back to 1907, but Hill’s Healthy Advantage is a newcomer — it was launched in 2011. It has never had any recalls.
Below, we share more information about the history of this pet food line.
Hill’s Healthy Advantage Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Hill’s Healthy Advantage Adult, Hill’s Healthy Advantage Small Bites, Hill’s Healthy Advantage Adult 7+, Hill’s Healthy Advantage Adult Oral+, Hill’s Healthy Advantage Puppy, Hill’s Healthy Advantage Puppy Large Breed, Hill’s Healthy Advantage Kitten
Company: Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc. (a subsidiary of Colgate-Palmolive Company)
Headquarters: 400 SW 8th Ave #101, Topeka, KS 66603
Contact info: 1-800-445-5777, email, website
Hill’s Healthy Advantage History
Hill Rendering Works, founded in 1907 by Burton Hill, started manufacturing dog food in 1930. By then, it had been renamed to Hill Packing Company. It was based in Kansas.
In 1948, the company was approached by veterinarian Mark L. Morris Sr., DVM, who had formulated a dog food designed to improve kidney health and wanted help canning the food. This is the dog food that would later become Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Canine.
Eventually, the company was renamed again: It became Hill’s Pet Nutrition.
The company was acquired by Riviana Foods Inc. in 1968, but even bigger corporate changes were to come not even a decade later: In 1976, Colgate-Palmolive purchased Riviana Foods, which included the Hill’s Pet Nutrition subsidiary, in a deal valued at about $180 million.
As of 2020, Hill’s Pet Nutrition was the No. 4 pet food company in the world, with nearly $2.4 billion in annual revenue, according to data provided by Pet Food Industry.
Hill’s Healthy Advantage Introduced
In 2009, Hill’s Pet Nutrition applied for a U.S. trademark for the phrase “Healthy Advantage.”
Two years later marked the introduction of Hill’s Healthy Advantage — but it was part of the overall Hill’s Science Diet line. The food was called “Hill’s Science Diet Healthy Advantage” at the time, and it was available in a few different dog and cat formulations, such as Puppy, Large Breed Puppy and Adult.
A few years later, though, Healthy Advantage split off from the Science Diet line.
Multi-Benefit Pet Food
Hill’s Healthy Advantage has been called “veterinary exclusive, multi-benefit, preventive pet nutrition.”
Each formulation claims to offer 5 essential health benefits. For example, Hill’s Healthy Advantage Adult Canine is said to offer these 5 health benefits:
- Powerful antioxidants to help maintain a healthy immune system
- High-quality protein and natural fiber to help maintain lean muscle and optimal body weight
- Natural sources of glucosamine and chondroitin to support healthy joints
- Fiber blend for digestive support
- Omega-6 fatty acids for a shiny coat and healthy skin
Has Hill’s Healthy Advantage Ever Been Recalled?
No. This brand has never been recalled.
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With Hill’s Healthy Advantage?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.
- “Our History.” Hill’s Pet Nutrition. https://www.hillspet.com/about-us/our-company/hills-pet-nutrition-history.
- Howe, Marvine. “Mark L. Morris, 92, a Developer of Diets for Cats and Dogs.” New York Times. July 13, 1993. https://www.nytimes.com/1993/07/13/obituaries/mark-l-morris-92-a-developer-of-diets-for-cats-and-dogs.html.
- Burns, Katie. “Legends: Innovator in Nutrition.” American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). Sept. 1, 2013. https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2013-09-01/legends-innovator-nutrition.
- “Hill’s Pet Nutrition Company Fact Sheet.” 2013. Cision. http://www.multivu.com/assets/7156751/documents/7156751-Hill-Company-Fact-Sheet-Timeline-original.pdf.
- “President of Hill Packing Company Dies.” Estherville (Iowa) Daily News. Sept. 18, 1962. https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=140426&fcf.
- “The President of The Hill Packing Company.” Builders of Topeka. 1956. 114. https://images.findagrave.com/photos/2012/341/67624323_135488896188.jpg.
- “Riviana Foods Inc. History.” Funding Universe. http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/riviana-foods-inc-history/.
- “Top Pet Food Companies Current Data.” Pet Food Industry. 2020. https://www.petfoodindustry.com/directories/211-top-pet-food-companies.
- “USPTO Issues Trademark: Healthy Advantage.” U.S. Fed News. Jan. 11, 2012.
- “Hill’s Pet Nutrition Launches Healthy Advantage Line in U.S.” Pet Food Industry. Jan. 24, 2011. https://www.petfoodindustry.com/articles/2070-hill-s-pet-nutrition-launches-healthy-advantage-line-in-us.
- “Q1 2005 Colgate-Palmolive Earnings Conference Call.” FD (Fair Disclosure) Wire. April 27, 2005.
put the below code in Body -->