At Petful®, founded by Pulitzer Prize–winning journalist and editor Dave Baker, we are on a mission to give our readers the best, most accurate information to help their pets live happier, healthier lives.
3 Things We’re Doing Right Now at Petful
1. We are saving pets’ lives.
Our free pet food recall alerts, as well as our timely articles about pet health and safety, are putting vital, life-saving information in pet parents’ hands.
Animal Radio has called our list of U.S. pet food recalls, painstakingly researched over the past decade and constantly updated, “the best, most complete list” online.
2. We go far beyond “fluff.”
Sure, we love cute photos too, but we aren’t afraid to publish hard-hitting articles and multi-part special reports on important topics that affect our readers’ lives.
Petful’s work has made a real, lasting impact:
- Our special report “Gunned Down: Why Are So Many Dogs Being Shot by Police?” hit dog lovers like a punch to the gut when it was first published in 2013. This report was printed out, distributed to and read by a number of legislators — and was eventually used as part of new, legally mandated training of the Atlanta Police Department. In addition, “Gunned Down” was cited by the National Police Foundation in its guidance for reducing the incidence of dog shootings. Our research was also referenced in a sweeping law enforcement toolkit created for the U.S. Department of Justice.
- “Fake Service Dogs, Real Problem,” another special report from Petful, was cited by Animal Law Review, the nation’s oldest law journal devoted to animal law issues — which built on our research by proposing new solutions to the problem of fraudulent service animals. Our 6-part report was also highlighted as critical reading for a 3-hour committee hearing convened in February 2014 by then–California State Senator Ted Lieu.
- In throwing its support behind a proposed New York State ban on animal sales in pet stores (legislation A.6298-A/S.4234-A), the New York City Bar cited Petful’s eye-opening research on kitten mills.
- The Southwest Times Record found our puppy mills article “so remarkable as to merit an editorial” in their newspaper. The editorial that our article inspired was then picked up and distributed across the Gannet/USA Today Network, as well as by The Associated Press — putting this vital information in front of even more readers.
- Award-winning journalist Kim Kavin cited Petful’s analysis and commentary in her 2016 book, The Dog Merchants, an expose of the $11-billion-a-year business of selling dogs. Kirkus Reviews called the book “a scathing indictment of an industry run amok.”
3. We are passionate animal lovers who truly want to make a difference.
Most of all, we simply love pets, and we want the best for them. Over the years, we have donated thousands of dollars to animal shelters and rescues in need — and as a result, countless dogs’ and cats’ lives have been saved.
Our writers have included trusted experts like these …
- Debora Lichtenberg, VMD
- Pippa Elliott, BVMS, MRCVS
- Phil Zeltzman, DVM, DACVS, CVJ
- Judy Morgan, DVM, CVA, CVCP, CVFT
Professional dog trainers:
Meet the Team
Want to know more about the editors and writers of Petful? See our bios here.
Petful has been featured on: