We wrote this document to let you know how important your privacy is to us. We also hope it shows that we truly value transparency and openness. Please read this page carefully before using our site further.
First, we’d like to share a little about us. Petful® is based in Brooklyn, New York, and is targeted to U.S. visitors. Petful is independently owned and operated by Dave Baker and his limited liability company, Super Copy Editors LLC. We are 100% independent — no big corporation has its muddy paws on us.
Our mission is to give you the best information and resources possible so you can provide a long, happy life for your pet. To do that, we may show you content and ads we think you’ll be interested in based on information we collect from you and third parties. Below, we explain exactly what information we collect from you, how we use that information, how long we keep it and what choices you have about it.
We believe you should have tools to control your information. Our website incorporates privacy controls that you can use to control how we collect your personal data. You can access these privacy controls via the table labeled “Privacy Controls” near the end of this page.
By continuing to use Petful.com, you consent to the data practices described in this policy.
What Personal Information We Collect, How We Collect It and What We Do With It
Please note that our website uses “cookies” to help personalize your online experience. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you and can be read only by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you.
We share or disclose non-personal data, such as aggregated information like the total number of times people viewed an article on our site, the number of people who clicked on a particular link, or how many people saw or clicked on an ad.
Security of Your Personal Information
Petful.com secures your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. We use encryption (HTTPS/TLS) to protect data transmitted to and from our site. However, no data transmission over the internet is 100% secure, so we can’t guarantee security. You use our site and services at your own risk, and you’re responsible for taking reasonable measures to secure your account.
If you leave a comment on our site, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of websites you choose to link to from Petful.com so that you can understand how those websites collect, use and share your information. We are not responsible for the privacy statements or other content on websites other than our own.
We will never sell or distribute any personal or contact information we collect about you. We do not sell, rent or lease our customer lists to third parties.
Petful will disclose your personal information, without notice, only if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law or comply with legal process served on us; (b) protect and defend our rights or property; and (c) act under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our users or the public.
Although we are a U.S.-based website intended for users located in the United States, Petful may process information related to individuals who are in the EU/European Economic Area. We may transfer that information from the EU/EEA to the United States or any other country where we have facilities. By using our services, you consent to the transfer of information outside of your country.
If you are located in the EU/EEA, you can request access to the information we hold about you. We’ll usually share this with you within 30 days of you asking us for it. The first time is free, and additional requests may incur a reasonable processing fee. You may also request modification or deletion of your personal data.
Cookies provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the web server that you have returned to a specific page. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to our website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved so you can easily use the features that you customized.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of our website. Most browsers let you block “third-party cookies,” which are cookies from sites other than the one you’re visiting.
Our website may also use small pieces of software code called “web beacons” (“pixel tags”) to collect anonymous and aggregate data, such as counting page views or advertising responses. A web beacon is an electronic image constructed from a single-pixel or clear GIF. Web beacons can recognize certain types of information, such as your IP address, cookie number, time and date of a page view, and description of the page where the web beacon is placed. You may render some web beacons unusable if you choose to reject their associated cookies.
Advertising Cookies and Web Beacons
Here’s the deal. We have to make money at Petful to keep our website running, pay our writers for their work and provide free, high-quality resources to our users. We want to deliver ads that are relevant, interesting and personal to you in order to pay our bills. For example, if you visit a page about dog food (or have visited one in the past), you may see an ad for a brand of dog food.
If you click on an ad or external link, that advertiser or website operator might figure out that you came from Petful, along with other information associated with the ad you clicked such as characteristics of the audience it was intended to reach. That entity may also collect other personal data from you, such as cookie identifiers or your IP address.
Petful’s advertising partners include:
- Google: Petful.com collects data about your activities that does not personally or directly identify you when you visit our website, the website of entities for which we serve advertisements (our “Advertisers”), or the websites and online services where we display advertisements (“Publishers”). This information may include the content you view, the date and time that you view this content, the products you purchase, or your location information associated with your IP address. We use the information we collect to serve you more relevant advertisements (referred to as “Retargeting”). We collect information about where you saw the ads we serve you and what ads you clicked on. You can opt out by visiting Google’s Ads Settings or the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out page.
- Amazon: Petful is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Our other advertising partners include:
Cookie declaration last updated Dec. 27, 2019, by Cookiebot: Download here.
How Long We Keep Your Information
We keep your information only so long as we need it to provide our services to you and fulfill the purposes described in this policy. This is also the case for anyone we share your information with and who carries out services on our behalf. When we no longer need to use your information and there is no need for us to keep it to comply with our legal or regulatory obligations, we’ll either remove it from our systems or depersonalize it so that we can’t identify you.
California Consumer Privacy Act
Your Rights Under the CCPA
- The right to notice. You must be properly notified which categories of personal data are being collected and the purposes for which the personal data is being used.
- The right to access/the right to request. The CCPA permits you to request and obtain from us information regarding the disclosure of your personal data that has been collected in the past 12 months by us or our subsidiaries to a third-party for the third party’s direct marketing purposes.
- The right to say no to the sale of personal data. You also have the right to ask us not to sell your personal data to third parties. You may submit such a request by contacting us.
- The right to know about your personal data. You have the right to request and obtain from us information regarding the disclosure of the following:
- The categories of personal data collected
- The sources from which the personal data was collected
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal data
- Categories of third parties with whom we share personal data
- The specific pieces of personal data we collected about you
- The right to delete personal data. You also have the right to request the deletion of your personal data that have been collected in the past 12 months.
- The right not to be discriminated against. You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of your consumer’s rights, including by:
- Denying goods or services to you
- Charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties
- Providing a different level or quality of goods or services to you
- Suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Exercising Your CCPA Data Protection Rights
In order to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, and if you are a California resident, you may contact us.
We will disclose and deliver the required information free of charge within 45 days of receiving your verifiable request. The time period to provide the required information may be extended once by an additional 45 days when reasonable necessary and with prior notice.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
We do not sell personal information. However, the service providers we partner with (for example, our advertising partners) may use technology on Petful.com that “sells” personal information as defined by the CCPA law. “Sale,” for the purpose of the CCPA, means selling, renting, releasing, disclosing, disseminating, making available, transferring or otherwise communicating orally, in writing, or by electronic or other means, a consumer’s personal information to another business or a third party for monetary or other valuable consideration.
If you wish to opt out of the use of your personal information for interest-based advertising purposes and these potential sales as defined under CCPA law, you may do so by following the instructions below.
Please note that any opt out is specific to the browser you use. You may need to opt out on every browser that you use.
You can opt out of receiving ads that are personalized as served by our service providers in the following way:
- By using the Privacy Controls in the table below.
The opt out will place a cookie on your computer that is unique to the browser you use to opt out. If you change browsers or delete the cookies saved by your browser, you will need to opt out again.
Your mobile device may give you the ability to opt out of the use of information about the apps you use in order to serve you ads that are targeted to your interests:
- “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” on Android devices
- “Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS devices
You can also stop the collection of location information from your mobile device by changing the preferences on your mobile device.
California Online Privacy Protection Act
According to CalOPPA, we agree to the following:
- Users can visit our site anonymously.
Users are able to change their personal information:
- By emailing us or using the Privacy Controls in the table below.
How does our site handle Do Not Track signals?
Some internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. There currently is no consensus among industry participants as to what “Do Not Track” means in this context. Therefore, like many websites and online services, we do not alter our practices when we receive a “Do Not Track” signal from your browser. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” visit this page.
Does our site allow third-party behavioral tracking?
Yes, we do allow third-party behavioral tracking, which we described above.
Does our site share personal data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes?
No, Petful does not share personal data with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, unless we give you a choice (opt in or opt out) before sharing with those third parties.
Children Under 13
When it comes to the collection of personal information from children under 13, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts parents in control. The Federal Trade Commission, the nation’s consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells out what operators of websites and online services must do to protect children’s privacy and safety online.
Petful does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you must ask your parent or guardian for permission to use this website.
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to:
- Send you our free pet food recall alerts (only if we have first obtained your permission)
We collect this information from you when you fill out a form on our site.
To be in accordance with CAN-SPAM, we agree to the following:
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can unsubscribe using the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email we send you, or contact us using our Contact Page, and we will promptly remove you from all correspondence.
Change of Ownership
At Petful, we believe that the best user experience is a personalized one. Here are some ways you can control your experience:
|View Petful without recording webpages and files in your browser.||Use your browser’s “private” setting, such as Incognito in Chrome|
|View, manage and/or delete cookies in your browser.||Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, Explorer|
|Prevent your data from being used by Google Analytics.||Opt-Out Add-On|
|Edit or delete your comments underneath our articles.||Disqus|
|Unsubscribe from our emails if you opted in.||Unsubscribe link at bottom of email|
|We attempt to match the advertising you see on Petful with your interests based on your online activities and expressed preferences. Manage each interest or opt out of personalized advertising.||Ad Choices or Opt Out|
|Any other questions or concerns you may have.||Contact Us|
Changes to This Policy
Here is who is responsible for your personal data:
Super Copy Editors LLC
116 Conselyea St. #3A
Brooklyn NY 11211
Last updated: May 14, 2020
See Also: Petful.com Terms and Conditions