One of my (many) weaknesses comes in the form of baked goods containing blueberries. Blueberry muffins, blueberry scones, blueberry bagels — you name it. If it has blueberries baked into it, I’m going to scarf it down.
So I was pretty pumped to see a dog treat recipe with fresh blueberries and immediately gave it a whirl, hoping that Banjo shared her mom’s weakness for blueberry treats.
Blueberries “have top-notch antioxidant properties,” according to Animal Wellness Magazine, which adds that “research points to their cardiovascular benefits” as well.
“Blueberries provide fiber, manganese and vitamin K, all of which enhance heart function while lowering the risk of stroke,” the magazine states. “Eye health is yet another benefit of blueberry consumption. In laboratory animal studies, the anthocyanins in blueberries protected the retina from oxygen damage. And finally, studies show that eating blueberries helps older dogs improve cognitive function.”
So give this recipe a try for your dog. Here’s how to make these treats.
Yummy Blueberry Dog Treats
- ¾ cup oat flour
- 1¼ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup flax meal
- ⅓ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg
- ⅛–¼ cup of water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except water.
- Add enough water to form a dough.
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to ¼-inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place them on a nonstick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browned around the edges.
- Cool on a wire rack.
After waiting for the biscuits to cool down, I finally offered one to a patiently waiting Banjo.
Banjo was in love with these treats. In fact, she gobbled them down without her usual 2-minute sniff test. I’ll definitely use this biscuit recipe in the future.
Adapted from: Martha Stewart Blueberry Dog Treats
Don’t Miss These Other Great Recipes From Petful:
- Simple Frozen Yogurt Treats
- Peanut Butter-Banana “Pupsicles”
- Apple Cheddar Dog Biscuits
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips for Your Dog
Please share this with your friends below: