⚠ Important recall information appears below.
Believe it or not, Pedigree is a subsidiary of Mars Inc., which does indeed make those delicious candy bars. Mars Inc., one of the few remaining privately owned “mega-corporations,” states that “everything we do is for the love of dogs, from the dog food we make to the dog adoption drive we support.” Pedigree offers site links and tips on puppy care as well as gear for dog lovers along with dog food.
Pedigree focuses on dogs, though in the second half of 2014, Mars Inc. was finalizing the purchase of the bulk of Proctor & Gamble’s pet product lines, including Iams, Eukanuba and Natura.
In August 2015, we started hearing reports of fiber or hairs appearing in certain dry Pedigree foods. See our coverage here.
Pedigree Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Pedigree Healthy Weight, Pedigree Healthy Joints, Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition, Pedigree Healthy Longevity, Pedigree Sensitive Nutrition, Pedigree Puppy, Pedigree Choice Cuts, Pedigree Little Champions, Pedigree Healthy Digestion, Pedigree Healthy Heart, as well as Dentastix and other dog treats
Where to buy: Retailers everywhere
Company: Mars Petcare US, Inc.
Headquarters: 315 Cool Springs Blvd, Franklin, TN 37067
Contact info: 1-800-525-5273, website
Has Pedigree Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. In August 2014, a few packages of Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition were recalled because of the reports of metal fragments. It wasn’t the first time foreign objects emerged in the food: In June 2012, Pedigree recalled 3 varieties of weight management dog foods after reports of small pieces of blue plastic that put dogs in danger of choking.
Years earlier, in August 2008, some Pedigree foods were recalled in certain locations because of possible salmonella contamination. The next month, there was a massive voluntary recall of dozens of products produced by Mars Petcare in which Pedigree was included, also because of possible salmonella contamination.
Notably, however, no Pedigree foods were involved in the massive melamine recalls of 2007.
A full list of all Pedigree dog food recalls follows.
List of Pedigree Dog Food Recalls
Cause: Possible foreign material (small metal fragments). Announcements: FDA reports dated Aug. 26, 2014 and Aug. 31, 2014. What was recalled: Pedigree Adult Complete Nutrition dry dog food as described below:
- Originally, the recall involved about 2 dozen 15 lb. bags sold at a dozen Dollar General stores in Mississippi, Arkansas, Tennessee and Louisiana; Lot Code #432C1KKM03 and “Best By” date of Aug. 5, 2015
- The recall was expanded 5 days later to also include 55 lb. bags sold in Sam’s Clubs in Michigan, Indiana and Ohio; Lot Code #432E1KKM03 and “Best By” date of Aug. 7, 2015
Cause: Choking hazard. Announcement: FDA report dated June 30, 2012. What was recalled: The following canned dog foods with a Lot Code that begins with 209, 210, 211 or 212 AND a “Best By” date that falls between Feb. 24, 2014 and March 23, 2014:
- Pedigree+ Healthy Weight Premium Ground Entree in Meaty Juices
- Pedigree Weight Management Meaty Ground Dinner Beef & Liver Dinner in Meaty Juices
- Pedigree Weight Management Meaty Ground Dinner Chicken & Rice Dinner in Meaty Juices
Cause: Possible salmonella. Announcement: FDA report dated Sept. 12, 2008. What was recalled: The following Pedigree dry dog foods with a “PAE” in the 6th, 7th and 8th digits of the Lot Code on the bag, manufactured at Mars Petcare’s Everson, Pennsylvania, facility from Feb. 18 to July 29, 2008:
- Large Breed Adult Nutrition, 20 lb, 30.1 lb., 36.4 lb., 40 lb.
- Small Crunchy Bites Adult Nutrition, 4.4 lb., 8.8 lb., 20 lb., 32 lb., 40 lb., 44 lb., 52 lb.
Cause: Possible salmonella. Announcement: FDA report dated Aug. 8, 2008. What was recalled: 20 lb. bags of Pedigree Complete Nutrition Small Crunchy Bites sold in Albertsons stores in Southern California and Las Vegas, Nevada (Lot #830BFCAT02, “Best By” July 2009).
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With Pedigree?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.
Also on Petful
See why dogs are getting amazing results with this dog food…
Please share this with your friends below: