What was recalled on November 9, 2023
For clarity, the lot code can be found on the back of the bag.
- Wayne Feeds Dog Food, High Energy 40lb bag, UPC 899944446094, best by 10/31/2024
- Wayne Feeds Dog Food, Original 40lb bag, UPC 899944446087, best by 10/31/2024
- Wayne Feeds Dog Food, Protein Plus 40lb bag, UPC 899944446100, best by 10/31/2024
- Wayne Feeds Gold Dog Food, Sport Protein 40lb bag, UPC 899944446148, best by 10/31/2024
- Wayne Feeds Gold Dog Food, Joint Support 40lb bag, UPC 899944446131, best by 10/31/2024
- Wayne Feeds Gold Dog Food, Puppy Plus 40lb bag, UPC 899944446155, best by 10/31/2024
Mid America Pet Food, based in Mount Pleasant, Texas, has voluntarily recalled multiple Wayne Feeds Dog Food and Gold Dog Food products with Best by Dates lines before 10/31/2024. The potential contamination by Salmonella was detected after a third-party conducted random product testing on another Mid America Pet Food brand called Victor Super Premium Dog Food on October 30, 2023. On November, 9, 2023, the recall expanded to include Wayne Feeds Dog Food and Gold Dog food products, as well as other Mid America Pet Food product lines, including recalled Member’s Mark Dog Food products and recalled Victor Super Premium Dog Food products.
Implications for Pets and Humans:
Salmonella can have harmful effects not only on pets but also on humans. Here’s what to watch out for:
- For Humans: Symptoms can range from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, to more severe issues like arterial infections, arthritis, and urinary tract symptoms.
- For Pets: Signs include lethargy, diarrhea (potentially bloody), vomiting, decreased appetite, and fever.
It is essential to note that while pets can exhibit these symptoms after consumption, healthy pets can also act as carriers, posing a risk to other animals and humans.
Immediate Actions to Take:
- Retailers are urged to remove these specific lots from shelves and inventory.
- Do not donate or sell these products.
- Consumers should avoid feeding the recalled product to their pets.
- Securely dispose of the product ensuring it is inaccessible to kids, pets, and wildlife.
- Wash and sanitize food bowls and storage containers.
For more information, reach out to Mid America Pet Food Consumer Affairs either via email at email@example.com or call 1-888-428-7544 between 8 AM to 11 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) seven days a week.
For media inquiries, Tim Schramm is available at 908-370-4771.
Always prioritize the safety and health of your pets. It’s better to be cautious and ensure that the products we provide for them are free from potential hazards. Always monitor any changes in your pet’s health, and if in doubt, contact your veterinarian immediately.
We urge our readers to spread the word about this recall, ensuring the safety of pets and pet owners alike. Stay informed and stay safe!
There were more recalls in 2023. See the previous one:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)