All great hamster names have something in common — they belong to some of the best pets ever.
Hamsters are friendly, docile and playful. They’re also easy to care for and inexpensive to keep. Hamsters are also busy adventurers dressed in fuzzy little coats; they’ll captivate you with their perpetual antics.
So what do you call these mini explorers with a zest for life? Get some inspiration from this list of 30 fun hamster names.
Classic names capture classic hamster actions of exploring, munching, hiding and playing. Just like classic songs and movies, these names are always in style and always a good choice.
- Ham, or Hammy
- Dizzy (running on their wheel sometimes makes hamsters dizzy, or you could name yours for jazz master Dizzy Gillespie)
- Speedy, or Speedster
- Munchy, Muncher or just plain Munch
- Cheeky, or Cheeks (hamsters store food in their cheeks)
- Fuzzy, or Fluffy
- Chewie, as in Chewbacca of Star Wars fame
Some people like to choose names based on their critter’s physical characteristics. Fortunately, hamsters come available in a wide variety of coat colors, lengths and textures, so the name possibilities are virtually endless (think Mocha, Spot and even Puff-Puff).
Here are some charming names to give your female hamster:
- Nutmeg (or Meg, for short)
- Pocahontas (or Pokie, for short)
- Cinderella or Ella, Belle, Jasmine or any of the names of Disney princesses
- Dot (the little sister of Princess Atta from A Bug’s Life)
Or pull from pop culture and give your little male hamster an adorable moniker, like these:
- Stuart Little
- Gazoo (from The Flintstones)
- Bamm-Bamm (also from The Flintstones)
Other Names From Fiction or History
Great hamster names are everywhere — in great books and movies, in tales of times past or even in your family tree. All you have to do is look, and you’ll find them:
- Hagrid (from Harry Potter)
- Hercules (the muscle-bound Greek demi-god)
- Zeus (Hercules’ father, the king of the Greek gods)
- Nike (the Greek goddess of victory, not just the brand of your running shoes)
- Dora (from Dora the Explorer, of course!)
- Molly Brown, a.k.a. the Unsinkable Molly Brown (she survived the Titanic disaster)
- Harriet, or Harrie for short (Harriet Chalmers Adams was considered the greatest female explorer in the United States in the early 1900s)
What would you name these absolutely pampered hamsters?
It’s also fun to give your furry little friends giant names. For example, what do you think of Colossus or Goliath?
Or how about Crumb Bum (CB for short)? Yes, this was actually a real hamster name. When I was young, a friend’s dad nicknamed her hamster this because CB was always making crumbs — and it stuck.
Be Patient for Inspiration to Strike
Still unsure of what to call your little furball?
Then spend a little more time getting to know your hamster. Look for unique characteristics. Is your hamster vocal? Maybe she’s really curious and busy. Perhaps she reminds you of a particular cartoon character or your favorite aunt, Polly, who simply loves broccoli.
Choosing the perfect name for your new hamster is an awesome part of living with these pets. The most important thing is to have fun doing it.