Ol’ Roy Dog Food
⚠ Important recall information appears below.
Ol’ Roy is a brand of dog food owned and marketed by Walmart. Originally produced for Walmart by Doane Pet Foods, in 2007 Doane was sold to the Mars Group, which provides the manufacturing of Ol’ Roy for Walmart today.
Because the Ol’ Roy label is produced solely for Walmart, that is the only place you can find this brand. The brand is named after Walmart founder Sam Walton’s Springer Spaniel, and at one time Ol’ Roy was the best-selling dog food in the United States.
Ol’ Roy Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Ol’ Roy Complete Nutrition, Ol’ Roy Kibbles Chunks and Chews, Ol’ Roy Meaty Chunks and Gravy, Ol’ Roy Soft Moist Beef, Ol’ Roy Lamb Meal and Rice, Ol’ Roy Tasty Benefit, Ol’ Roy Puppy Dry Food, Ol’ Roy Tasty Benefit Weight Management, Pure Balance, Complete Nutrition, High Performance, Hearty Loaf
Company: Walmart Stores, Inc.
Headquarters: 702 SW 8th St, Bentonville, AR 72716
Contact info: 1-800-925-6278
Has Ol’ Roy Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. Independent testing in February 2018 by a TV news investigative team reportedly turned up traces of pentobarbital — often used as a euthanasia drug — in samples of Gravy Train. Pentobarbital can be deadly when consumed by dogs or cats. As a result of that investigation, The J.M. Smucker Company announced a recall of various flavors of Gravy Train, Kibbles ‘N Bits, Ol’ Roy and Skippy canned dog foods.
In this video, Petful publisher Dave Baker discusses the news:
Nearly 10 years earlier, in September 2008, Ol’ Roy Complete Nutrition dog food was recalled because of potential salmonella contamination. A year earlier, beginning in March 2007, Ol’ Roy was one of the many pet foods recalled in the Menu Foods melamine recall. Also in 2007, unrelated to the melamine recall, one lot of 55 lb. bags of Ol’ Roy Complete Nutrition was recalled for possible salmonella contamination.
Full details about all Ol’ Roy dog food recalls appear below.
List of Ol’ Roy Dog Food Recalls
Cause: Potential for low levels of pentobarbital. Announcement: FDA announcement dated Feb. 16, 2018; FDA update dated March 2, 2018. What was recalled: The following Ol’ Roy dog food manufactured from 2016 to Feb. 16, 2018:
- Ol’ Roy Strips Turkey Bacon, 13.2 oz. can, UPC# 8113117570
Cause: Salmonella potential. Announcement: FDA report dated Sept. 12, 2008. What was recalled: The following dry dog foods produced at Mars Petcare’s Everson, Pennsylvania, facility from Feb. 18–July 29, 2008 (denoted by a “17” in first 2 digits of the Lot Code):
- Ol’ Roy Complete Nutrition, 4 lb., 8 lb., 22 lb., 50 lb.
- Ol’ Roy High Performance Nutrition, 20 lb., 50 lb.
- Ol’ Roy Meaty Chunks ‘n Gravy, 8 lb., 22 lb., 50 lb.
- Ol’ Roy Puppy Complete, 4 lb., 8 lb., 20 lb.
Cause: Salmonella potential. Announcement: FDA report dated June 6, 2007. What was recalled: Ol’ Roy Complete Nutrition dry dog food, 55 lb. (bonus bag), Lot #0407351, “Best By” April 13, 2008.
Cause: Melamine. Announcement: AVMA report (archived). What was recalled: The following varieties of Ol’ Roy in both cans and pouches, as noted:
- London Grill Cuts/Gravy, 374g and 624g can
- Chicken Teriyaki, 150g pouch
- Country Stew, 150g pouch
- Lamb/Rice, 150g pouch
- VP (B/S), 150g pouch
- VP (C/T), 150g pouch
- Chicken, 150g pouch
- Turkey, 150g pouch
- Sliced Beef/Gravy, 624g can
- Sliced Chicken/Gravy, 624g can
- Turkey/Bacon/Gravy, 624g can
- Beef, 150g pouch
- Beef Cuts/Gravy, 374g and 624g can
- Beef Cuts Value Pack, 374g can
- Beef/Liver Cuts/Gravy, 374g and 624g can
- Country Stew Cuts/Gravy, 374g and 624g can
- Chicken Cuts Value Pack, 374g can
- Chicken Cuts/Gravy, 374g and 624g can
- Lamb/Vegetable Cuts, 624g can
- Beef/Barley Cuts, 624g can
- Beef/Bacon/Cheese Cuts, 624g can
- Beef/Noodle/Veg, 5.3 oz. pouch
- Chicken Teriyaki/Gravy, 5.3 oz. pouch
- Filet Mignon/Gravy, 5.3 oz. pouch
- Lamb/Rice/Gravy, 5.3 oz. pouch
- Beef, 5.3 oz. pouch
- Chicken, 5.3 oz. pouch
- Stew , 5.3 oz. pouch
- Turkey, 5.3 oz. pouch
- Sliced Beef, 5.5 oz. can
- Sliced Chicken, 5.5 oz. can
- 4 Flavor Large Biscuit, 10 lb. treats
- Peanut Butter Biscuit, 5 lb. treats
- Puppy Biscuit, 28.8 oz. treats
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With Ol’ Roy?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.
Also on Petful
See why dogs are getting amazing results with this dog food…
Please share this with your friends below: