Nutro Pet Food
Important recall information appears below.
A British businessman sold a dog food company to John Saleen in 1926, and the name was changed to Nutro Products. The company was moved to Industry, California and later sold to new owners in 1976. Mars, Inc. bought Nutro in 2007 and moved Nutro’s headquarters to Tennessee.
The company focuses on natural ingredients, skin and coat care, and digestion in its pet food, the dry version being manufactured in a safety-certified facility.
Nutro Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Nutro Natural Choice Dog Food, Nutro Ultra Dog Food, Nutro Rotations Dog Food, Nutro Max Dog Food, Nutro Greenies for dogs, Nutro Natural Choice Cat Food, Nutro Max Cat Food and Nutro Greenies for cats
Company: Nutro Products, a subsidiary of Mars, Inc.
Headquarters: 1550 West McEwen Drive, First Floor, Franklin, TN 37067
Contact info: 1-800-833-5330, email, website
Has Nutro Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. Some dog treats were recalled in late 2015 because of the possibility of mold contamination. Earlier, dry cat food products were recalled in 2009 because of incorrect zinc and potassium levels. Later that year, out of an abundance of caution, Nutro issued a voluntary recall of 3 types of dry dog food because of melted plastic pieces found in production. The cause was a worker’s plastic hat. No pieces were believed to have entered the products themselves. Finally, in 2007, Nutro was included in the wide-ranging melamine recall.
List of Nutro Recalls
Cause: Potential for mold. Announcement: PetSmart news release from Dec. 13, 2015. What was recalled: 4 oz. Nutro Apple Chewy Treats with Lots Codes beginning with “4 50,” “5 02,” “5 03,” or “5 05” (regardless of “Best by” date)
Cause: Plastic found in production line. Announcement: Dog Food Advisor (Sept. 30, 2009). What was recalled: Nutro Ultra Puppy (4.5 lb. and 30 lb. bags) and Nutro Natural Choice Chicken Meal, Rice and Oatmeal Formula Small Bites Puppy (5 lb. bags), both with “Best By” dates of Sept. 10, 2010 only.
Cause: Incorrect zinc and potassium levels. Announcement: FDA report dated May 21, 2009. What was recalled: The following varieties of Nutro dry cat foods with “Best By” dates between May 12, 2010 and Aug. 22, 2010:
- Natural Choice Complete Care Kitten, 4 lb., 8 lb., 9.2 lb. (bonus bag), 20 lb., 1.5 oz. (sample bag)
- Natural Choice Complete Care Adult, 4 lb., 8 lb., 9.2 lb. (bonus bag), 20 lb., 1.5 oz. (sample bag)
- Natural Choice Complete Care Adult Oceanfish, 4 lb., 8 lb., 9.2 lb. (bonus bag), 20 lb.
- Nutro Max Adult Roasted Chicken, 3 lb., 6 lb., 16 lb., 1.5 oz. (sample bag)
- Nutro Max Indoor Adult Roasted Chicken, 3 lb., 6 lb., 16 lb., 1.5 oz. (sample bag)
- Nutro Max Indoor Adult Salmon, 3 lb., 6 lb., 16 lb.
- Nutro Max Indoor Weight Control, 3 lb., 6 lb., 16 lb.
Cause: Melamine. Announcement: FDA report dated June 25, 2008. What was recalled: 12.5 oz. cans of the following Nutro dog food with “Best By” dates of Dec. 10–11, 2009: Adult, Puppy, Senior, Weight Management, Large Breed AD, and Large Breed Puppy.
Have You Had a Problem With Nutro?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.