Maker: Sunshine Mills, Inc.
Cause: Potential for salmonella
Announcement: FDA alert dated June 3, 2021 (archived here)
What was recalled: The following specific lot/sizes of dry dog food:
- Sportsman’s Pride Professional Formula 30/20 Dog Food, 40 lb., best if used by Oct. 7, 2021, UPC #7015510184, Lot #TI1 07/Oct/2020, sold in MS, FL, TN, LA, VA, NC, TX
- Sprout Sporting Dog Food, 5 lb., best if used by Oct. 6, 2021, UPC #7015505101, Lot #TE1 06/Oct/2020, sold in MN, WI, IA, SD, ND
- Sprout Sporting Dog Food, 40 lb., best if used by Oct. 6, 2021, UPC #7015505100, Lot #TI3 06/Oct/2020, sold in MN, WI, IA, SD, ND
- Intimidator Chicken & Rice Formula 30/20 Dog Food, 16 lb., best if used by Oct. 6, 2021, UPC #7015541002, Lot #TA1 06/Oct/2020, sold in TX, MS, FL, AL
- Intimidator Chicken & Rice Formula 30/20 Dog Food, 40 lb., best if used by Oct. 6, 2021, UPC #5216631214, Lot #TA1 06/Oct/2020, sold in TX, MS, FL, AL
- FRM Gold Select High Performance Dog Food, 50 lb., best if used by Oct. 6, 2021, UPC #1549905873, Lot #TA1 06/Oct/2020, sold in GA, FL
Sunshine Mills, Inc. is issuing a voluntary recall of certain dog food products because of the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. No illnesses, injuries or complaints have been reported to date.
The potential for contamination was noted after the firm was notified by the distributor, Fleet Wholesale Supply Company, who was informed by Minnesota Department of Agriculture when a sample of 5 lb. Sprout Sporting Dog Food product was collected and tested positive for salmonella during routine surveillance.
Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.
The best buy date and lot code can be found on the back of each package. No other Sportsman’s Pride, Sprout, Intimidator, or FRM Gold Select products or other lot codes of these products are affected by this recall.
Retailers who received the recalled lots have been contacted and asked to pull these lots from their inventory and shelves. Consumers who have purchased the recalled products should discontinue use of the product and may return the unused portion to the place of purchase for a full refund.
You may contact Sunshine Mills customer service at (800) 705-2111 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
There were more recalls in 2021. See the previous one:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)