Maker: OC Raw Dog, LLC
Causes: Potential for listeria; potential for Clostridium botulinum
Announcement: FDA announcements dated April 20, 2018 (archived here and here)
What was recalled: The following products:
- OC Raw Dog Chicken, Fish & Produce Meaty Rox, 3lb., UPC #022099069171, Lot #3652, Best by Oct. 11, 2018
- OC Raw Dog Chicken, Fish & Produce Doggie Sliders, 4lb., UPC #095225852640, Best by Oct. 11, 2018
- OC Raw Dog Chicken, Fish & Produce Doggie Dozen Patty Bag, 6.5 lb., UPC #022099069225, Best by Oct. 11, 2018
- OC Raw Dog Chicken, Fish & Produce Meaty Rox, 7 lb., UPC #095225852756, Best by Oct. 11, 2018
- OC Raw Dog Freeze Dried Sardines, 3.2 oz bag, UPC #095225853043
OC Raw Dog announced this as 2 separate voluntary recalls. The Chicken, Fish & Produce Raw Frozen Canine Formulation has the potential for listeria contamination — a state agriculture department has reported a positive test for listeria in a sample of the food, although there have been no reports to date of illnesses in pets or people.
The second OC Raw Dog recall, for the Freeze Dried Sardines, stems from the fact that the fish are larger than the FDA compliance guideline of 5 inches. The federal safety agency says larger fish like this carry a higher risk of botulism poisoning.
“Clostridium botulinum can cause severe and potentially fatal toxicity in both animals consuming the pet treat and people handling the pet treat or coming in contact with contact areas that have been exposed to the product,” according to the FDA.
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
There were more recalls in 2018. See the previous one:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)