Maker: Carnivore Meat Company
Cause: Potential for salmonella
Announcement: Customer email dated April 16, 2018
What was recalled: The following 2 varieties and dates of Vital Essentials:
- Freeze-Dried Beef Toppers (for dogs and cats), 6 oz. packages, Lot #13815, Best by June 4, 2019 or June 20, 2019
- Frozen Beef Chub Entrée for Dogs, 5 lb. chubs, Lot #13816, Best by Dec. 27, 2018
According to the email, which Petful has confirmed with a company spokesperson, this recall arose out of concern that some of the products may be contaminated with salmonella.
“A single package of product, which was produced on the same day, was collected and tested by FDA for the presence of salmonella,” the email stated, adding: “We expect that very few, if any, packages remain in the market.”
Also on Petful
See why dogs are getting amazing results with this dog food…
No other Vital Essentials products are subject to this voluntary recall.
This is the 4th recall of Vital Essentials in the past 3 years, all because of potential salmonella or listeria contamination. The previous 3 recalls were:
- Freeze-Dried Beef Niblets (February 2018)
- Frozen Chicken Patties Entrée (January 2016)
- Frozen Beef Tripe (July 2015)
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
There were more recalls in 2018. See the previous one:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)