Darwin’s Pet Food
⚠ Important recall information appears below.
Gary Tashjian sought help to treat his 10-year-old dog Max after the dog began suffering from terrible arthritis. A holistic veterinarian recommended using a raw diet, so Tashjian began preparing the meals at home. Astonished by the positive change in Max that followed, Tashjiam began feeding raw to his other dog, Carey.
Other people were interested in seeing the same results in their dogs but claimed they did not have the time to create the raw diets. So Tashjian founded Darwin’s to create a raw product line to fill this need.
Darwin’s Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Darwin’s Premium Line Natural Selections for Dogs, Darwin’s Value Line ZooLogics for Dogs, Darwin’s Prescription Line, Intelligent Design for Dogs, Darwin’s Premium Line Natural Selections for Cats, Darwin’s Grass-Raised Beef Rib & Marrow Bones
Company: Darwin’s Natural Pet Products / Arrow Reliance Inc.
Headquarters: 350 Treck Drive, Tukwila, WA 98188
Contact info: 206-324-7387 or 877-738-6325, email, website
Has Darwin’s Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. The company had its first widely announced recall in December 2017, involving about 17,000 packages of raw dog food, after tests confirmed that some samples were contaminated with salmonella and listeria. However, according to an investigation by Food Safety News, contamination problems with Darwin’s pet food had been ongoing for more than a year before that recall, with at least 2 other “silent” recalls taking place during the 14 months prior. In all, according to Food Safety News, a staggering 23 tons of dog and cat food were recalled by the company during 2016–2017.
In March and February 2018, the company had other recalls. The FDA published a blistering report chronicling a “pattern of contamination” and “a history of … recalls and multiple complaints.”
List of Recalls
Cause: Potential for salmonella and E. coli. Announcement: FDA report dated March 26, 2018. What was recalled: The following raw dog foods, sold in 2 lb. flexible film packages:
- ZooLogics Turkey Meals for Dogs, Lot #44127, manufactured Feb. 4, 2018
- ZooLogics Chicken With Vegetables Meals for Dogs, Lot #4403743887, manufactured Feb. 7, 2018
- Natural Selections Chicken With Organic Vegetables Meals for Dogs, Lot #43887, manufactured Jan. 30, 2018
- Natural Selections Duck With Organic Vegetables Meals for Dogs, Lot #44147, manufactured Feb. 5, 2018
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: Company email; per Dog Food Advisor [PDF]. What was recalled: ZooLogics Chicken and Vegetable Meals for Dogs (manufactured Nov. 2, 2017) and ZooLogics Duck and Vegetable Meals for Dogs (manufactured Nov. 16, 2017)
Cause: Potential for salmonella and listeria. Announcement: Petful verified by phone call with company, Dec. 8, 2017, as well as a report from Food Safety News dated Dec. 22, 2017. What was recalled: 2-pound packages (partitioned into 4 quadrants) of the following:
- Natural Selections Turkey With Organic Vegetables Meals for Dogs, Lots #39937 and #40507, Manufactured Aug. 24 and Sept. 20, 2017
- Natural Selections Chicken With Organic Meals for Dogs, Lot #40727, Manufactured Sept. 26, 2017
- Natural Selections Duck With Organic Vegetables Meals for Dogs, Lot #40487, Manufactured Sept. 29, 2017
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: Report from Food Safety News dated Dec. 22, 2017. What was recalled: 2-pound packages (partitioned into 4 quadrants) of Natural Selections Duck Meals for Cats, Lot #38277, Manufactured June 1, 2017.
Cause: Potential for listeria. Announcement: Report from Food Safety News dated Dec. 22, 2017. What was recalled: 2-pound packages of the following:
- Natural Selections Turkey With Organic Vegetable Meals for Dogs, Lot #3142070, Manufactured July 20, 2016
- Natural Selections Beef With Organic Vegetables Meals for Dogs, Lot #3146070, Manufactured July 21, 2016
- ZooLogics Turkey With Vegetable Meals for Dogs, Lot #3155070, Manufactured July 25, 2016
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With Darwin’s?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.
[efsbutton style=”” size=”large” color_class=”” icon=”fi-magnifying-glass” align=”left” type=”link” target=”false” title=”Look Up Another Brand” link=”https://www.petful.com/brands/”]
Please share this with your friends below: