What was recalled on November 9, 2023
For clarity, the lot code can be found on the back of the bag.
Victor Super Premium Cat Food, Hi-Pro Plus Active Cat & Kitten
- 15lb bag, UPC 854524005825, best by 10/31/2024
- 5lb bag, UPC 854524005832, best by 10/31/2024
Victor Super Premium Cat Food, Grain Free Fit Feline Indoor Cat
- 15lb bag, UPC 854524005870, best by 10/31/2024
- 5lb bag, UPC 854524005887, best by 10/31/2024
Victor Super Premium Cat Food, Grain Free Healthy Skin & Coat Indoor Cat
- 15lb bag, UPC 854524005900, best by 10/31/2024
- 5lb bag, UPC 854524005917, best by 10/31/2024
Victor Super Premium Cat Food, Mers Feline
- 15lb bag, UPC 854524005283, best by 10/31/2024
- 5lb bag, UPC 854524005221, best by 10/31/2024
Mid America Pet Food, based in Mount Pleasant, Texas, has voluntarily recalled multiple Victor Super Premium Cat Food product lines with Best by Dates lines before 10/31/2024. The potential contamination by Salmonella was detected after a third-party conducted random product testing on another Mid America Pet Food brand called Victor Super Premium Dog Food on October 30, 2023. On November, 9, 2023, the recall expanded to include Victor Super Premium Cat Food products and recalled Wayne Feeds Cat Food and Gold Cat Food Products.
Implications for Pets and Humans:
Salmonella can have harmful effects not only on pets but also on humans. Here’s what to watch out for:
- For Humans: Symptoms can range from nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramping, to more severe issues like arterial infections, arthritis, and urinary tract symptoms.
- For Pets: Signs include lethargy, diarrhea (potentially bloody), vomiting, decreased appetite, and fever.
It is essential to note that while pets can exhibit these symptoms after consumption, healthy pets can also act as carriers, posing a risk to other animals and humans.
Immediate Actions to Take:
- Retailers are urged to remove these specific lots from shelves and inventory.
- Do not donate or sell these products.
- Consumers should avoid feeding the recalled product to their pets.
- Securely dispose of the product ensuring it is inaccessible to kids, pets, and wildlife.
- Wash and sanitize food bowls and storage containers.
For more information, reach out to Mid America Pet Food Consumer Affairs either via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-428-7544 between 8 AM to 11 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) seven days a week.
For media inquiries, Tim Schramm is available at 908-370-4771.
Always prioritize the safety and health of your pets. It’s better to be cautious and ensure that the products we provide for them are free from potential hazards. Always monitor any changes in your pet’s health, and if in doubt, contact your veterinarian immediately.
We urge our readers to spread the word about this recall, ensuring the safety of pets and pet owners alike. Stay informed and stay safe!
There were no more recalls in 2023. Start browsing the previous year’s recalls here:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)