Maker: Sunshine Mills, Inc.
Cause: Potentially elevated levels of aflatoxin
Announcement: FDA report dated Sept. 2, 2020 (archived here)
What was recalled: Three different types of adult dry dog foods produced by Sunshine Mills, as listed below.
Certain lots of these dog foods are being recalled following a single positive test for elevated aflatoxin, a mold byproduct that can be harmful to pets — and even deadly — in large enough quantities.
Below are the 3 dog foods being recalled, along with the specific lot codes.
1. Family Pet Meaty Cuts Beef, Chicken & Cheese Flavors Premium Dog Food:
- 4 lb., lot codes TD3 4/APRIL/2020 or TD1 5/APRIL/2020, UPC #3225120694
- 14 lb., lot codes TB1 4/APRIL/2020, TB2 4/APRIL/2020 or TB3 3/APRIL/2020, UPC #3225118078
2. Heartland Farms Grilled Favorites Beef, Chicken & Cheese Flavor Dog Food:
- 14 lb., lot codes TB1 4/APRIL/2020 or TB2 4/APRIL/2020, UPC #7015514299
- 31 lb., lot codes TA2 4/APRIL/2020 or TA3 4/APRIL/2020, UPC #7015514301
3. Paws Happy Life Butcher’s Choice Beef, Chicken & Cheese Flavors Dog Food:
- 16 lb., lot codes TA1 4/APRIL/2020 or TA2 4/APRIL/2020, UPC #3680035763
So far, no illnesses have been reported, according to the company, and no other Sunshine Mills pet food products are affected. The recalled dog foods were sold in retail stores across the United States.
“While no adverse health effects related to these products have been reported, Sunshine Mills, Inc. has chosen to issue a voluntary recall of these products as a precautionary measure in furtherance of its commitment to the safety and quality of its products,” according to the recall announcement.
If you have one of the specific dog foods (including the exact lot codes) listed above, do not feed it to your pet. Return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund, or call Sunshine Mills at 800-705-2111 if you have any questions.
This is the second recall of dog foods produced by Sunshine Mills recently. Just 9 days before this one was announced, the company issued a recall of certain bags of Nature’s Menu — though the reason for that one was possible salmonella contamination.
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
There were more recalls in 2020. See the previous one:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)