⚠ Important recall information appears below.
The company was started in 2000 by Lucy and Charles Postins to produce all-natural homemade food for other dogs after feeding it to their own dog. Dehydration was used to preserve the pet food instead of chemicals or preservatives, and the company has continued to grow ever since.
The pet food products are human-grade and all natural. They are dehydrated for storage and rehydrated by the consumer for feeding. The food is manufactured in a plant that also manufactures food for human consumption.
The Honest Kitchen Quick Facts
Brand line includes: The Honest Kitchen Embark Dehydrated Raw Dog Food, The Honest Kitchen Thrive Dehydrated Dog Food, The Honest Kitchen Verve Dehydrated Dog Food, The Honest Kitchen Zeal Grain-Free Dehydrated Dog, The Honest Grace Grain-Free Turkey Dehydrated Cat Food
Company: The Honest Kitchen
Headquarters: 145 14th Street, San Diego, CA 92101
Contact info: 866-437-9729, email, website
Has The Honest Kitchen Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. In 2013, parsley from a supplier was recalled because of the potential for salmonella. The Honest Kitchen recalled 3 brands of its pet food as a precaution and severed its relationship with the parsley supplier.
List of The Honest Kitchen Recalls
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: FDA report dated Feb. 21, 2013. What was recalled: The following varieties of Verve, Thrive and Zeal pet food from The Honest Kitchen:
- Verve dog food (4 lb. box, 10 lb. box) Lot #2332A batches 1-3, Best by Aug. 20, 2013
- Verve dog food (10 lb. box) Lot 3062A batches 8-9, Best by Nov. 1, 2013
- Thrive dog food (1 oz. sample) Lot 2622A batch 3, Best by Sept. 18, 2013
- Zeal (4 lb. box, 10 lb. box) Lot 2272A batches 1-5, Best by Aug. 14, 2013
- Zeal (10 lb. box) Lot 2652A batches 1-4, Best by Sept. 21, 2013
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With The Honest Kitchen?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.