Royal Canin Pet Food
⚠ Important recall information appears below.
Royal Canin was founded by veterinarian Jean Cathary in 1968. The science-based pet food is formulated for the needs of the pet, not the preferences of the pet owner. The worldwide headquarters is in southern France, and American products are manufactured in company-owned plants in Missouri, South Dakota and Canada.
Royal Canin Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Royal Canin X-Small Puppy, Royal Canin Mini, Royal Canin Medium, Royal Canin Maxi, Royal Canin Giant, Royal Canin Canine Health Nutrition Wet, Royal Canin Spayed/Neutered Cat Formula, Royal Canin Feline Breed Nutrition
Company: Royal Canin USA, Inc.
Headquarters: 500 Fountain Lakes Blvd., Suite 100, St. Charles, MO 63301
Contact info: 1-800-592-6687, email, website
Has Royal Canin Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. In 2007, Royal Canin USA recalled some of its dry pet food during the melamine scare. The year before, Royal Canine pulled thousands of canned pet food products from shelves because of excessive amounts of Vitamin D3.
List of Royal Canin Recalls
Cause: Melamine. Announcement: FDA report dated May 11, 2007. What was recalled: The following Royal Canin dry dog foods (plus there is one cat food, as noted):
Also on Petful
See why dogs are getting amazing results with this dog food…
- Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice Adult
- Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice Reduced
- Sensible Choice Lamb and Rice Reduced
- Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice Puppy
- Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice Large Breed Puppy
- Sensible Choice Natural Blend Adult
- Sensible Choice Natural Blend Senior
- Sensible Choice Natural Blend Puppy
- Kasco Chunks
- Kasco Hi Energy
- Kasco Maintenance
- Kasco Mealettes
- Kasco Mini Chunks
- Kasco Puppy
- Kasco Cat (cat food)
Cause: Melamine. Announcement: FDA report dated April 19, 2007. What was recalled: The following Royal Canin dry dog foods (plus there is 1 cat food, as noted):
- Veterinary Diet Canine Early Cardiac EC 22
- Veterinary Diet Canine Skin Support SS21
- Veterinary Diet Feline Hypoallergenic HP23 (cat food)
- Sensible Choice Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Sensible Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
- Sensible Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
- Sensible Choice Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Sensible Choice Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult
Cause: Too much Vitamin D3. Announcement: FDA enforcement report dated May 3, 2006, referencing a notice from Royal Canin issued Feb. 2, 2006. What was recalled: The following Royal Canin pet foods:
- Veterinary Diet Canine Urinary SO dog food, 13.6 oz. cans, Code 511A/B, Exp. 03/2007; Code 521 A/B, Exp. 03/2007; Code 525A, Exp. 06/2007
- Veterinary Diet Canine Low Fat LF dog food, 13.6 oz. cans, Code 526A/B, Exp. 06/2007
- Veterinary Diet Canine Calorie Control CC In Gel dog food, 12.7 oz. cans, Code 515B, Exp. 04/2007; and Code 528A, Exp. 07/2007
- Veterinary Diet Feline Sensitivity VR cat food, 5.8 oz. cans, Code 518A, Exp. 05/2007
- Veterinary Diet Feline Calorie Control CC cat food, 5.8 oz. cans, Code 449A, Exp. 11/2006; Code 451A, Exp. 12/2006; and Code 515A, Exp. 04/2007
- Veterinary Diet Feline Renal LP cat food, 3 oz. pouch, Code 519B, Exp., 09/2006; Code 522B, Exp. 09/2006; Code 526A, Exp. 10/2006; Code 541A, Exp. 02/2007; and Code 543A, Exp. 02/2007
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With Royal Canin?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.