⚠ Important recall information appears below.
Primal Pet Foods advocates feeding your pets the Bones and Raw Food (BARF) diet. Primal believes that a diet as close to what your pet would find in the wild is ideal for optimum pet health, and in the manufacturing processes the company seeks fresh, antibiotic-free and steroid-free meats and produce.
Primal Pet Foods Quick Facts
Brand line includes: Primal Canine Beef Formula, Primal Canine Chicken Formula, Primal Canine Duck Formula, Primal Canine Lamb Formula, Primal Canine Pronto Lamb Formula, Canine Turkey Mix, Feline Beef & Salmon Formula, Feline Pronto Turkey Formula, Feline Beef Mix, Feline Chicken Mix, Feline Sardine Mix, Feline Raw Chicken Necks, and various treats
Where to buy: Latest deals on [easyazon_link keywords=”primal pet food” locale=”US” tag=”petsadvi-20″]Primal pet food[/easyazon_link]
Company: Primal Pet Foods Inc.
Headquarters: 2045 McKinnon Avenue; San Francisco CA, 94124
Contact info: 1-866-566-4652; email
Has Primal Ever Been Recalled?
Yes. Our records indicate there have been 4 recalls.
Most recently, in July 2022, Primal Pet Foods recalled a single lot of Primal Raw Frozen Primal Patties for Dogs Beef Formula. This recall was the result of a positive test result for Listeria monocytogenes bacteria after routine sampling by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Primal disputed the FDA’s test results, saying the company “confirmed that all testing results on this single lot of recalled product were negative for Listeria monocytogenes — both raw materials and finished product — before it left its production facility.”
Fewer than 400 packages were sold to customers in Maryland, Georgia, Texas and British Columbia in late April 2022. No other lot codes or Primal products were involved.
Several years earlier, in late December 2017, Primal Pet Foods announced that a number of freeze-dried formulas of dog and cat foods were being recalled because the bone grind size “deviated from the ideal.”
A couple of years before that, in March 2015, the company voluntarily recalled limited numbers of its Feline Turkey Raw Frozen Formula for suspected low thiamine levels.
The only other recall was in May 2011, when a limited supply of the Feline Chicken & Salmon Formula in 4-pound bags was recalled because of suspected salmonella contamination.
Full details about all Primal Pet Foods recalls can be found immediately below:
List of Primal Pet Foods Recalls
Cause: Potential for listeria. Announcement: FDA recall notice dated July 6, 2022 (archived here). What was recalled: 6 lb. bags of Primal Raw Frozen Primal Patties for Dogs Beef Formula, lot #W10068709, best by May 22, 2023.
Cause: Bone grind size too large. Announcement: Company announcement on social media, Dec. 22, 2017. What was recalled: Only these specific products:
- Canine Chicken Freeze Dried Formula, 14 oz., Batch #s 2D1101817, 3D3100317, 1D4100317, 2D2100317, 1D5102717, 1D6101717 and 2D6100317
- Canine Duck Freeze Dried Formula, 14 oz., Batch #s 1D4100117, 1D5100817, 2D7100117, 2D1092517, 2D7100817, 1D8100217, 2D5100117, 3D5100117, 3D6100817, 1D10101817 and 3D10101817
- Canine Duck Freeze Dried Formula, 5.5 oz., Batch #1D5100117
- Canine Turkey Freeze Dried Formula, 5.5 oz., Batch #1D892617
- Canine Turkey Freeze Dried Formula, 14 oz., Batch #s 3D1092517, 1D392517, 1D592517, 4D692517, 2D892617, 1D8100217 and D10100217
- Feline Chicken-Salmon Freeze Dried Formula, 14 oz., Batch #s 2D2100217, 1D1100217, 2D9100217 and 1D4100217
- Feline Chicken-Salmon Freeze Dried Formula, 5.5 oz., Batch #1D3100217
- Feline Turkey Freeze Dried Formula, 14 oz., Batch #s 2D10100317, 2D8100317, 1D7100217, 3D5100317, 1D5101617, 1D6100317 and1D10101717
- Feline Turkey Freeze Dried Formula, 5.5 oz., Batch #s 1D5100317 and 1D10101717
Cause: Low thiamine levels. Announcement: FDA report dated March 13, 2015. What was recalled: A single lot of Primal Pet Foods Feline Turkey Raw Frozen Formula, 3 lb. bags, “Best by” date of “060815 B22.”
Cause: Potential for salmonella. Announcement: FDA report dated May 28, 2011. What was recalled: Primal Pet Foods Feline Chicken & Salmon Formula, 4 lb. chicken & salmon nuggets, “Best by” date code of 043112-17.
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
Have You Had a Problem With Primal Pet Foods?
- See our reporting page for contact info.
- Leave a comment below to share your experience with others.