A notice posted this weekend at some PetSmart stores quietly announced a “voluntary withdrawal” of certain Hill’s Science Diet canned dog foods.
For now, not much is known about the market withdrawal — which is different from a recall in that it involves a “minor” violation not subject to FDA action. The company is being notably tight-lipped, but we learned from a phone call with a PetSmart representative that the reason is a mislabeling problem.
“They just had a problem with labeling,” an employee named Mia from the PetSmart in Naples, Florida, told Petful in a phone call this afternoon in which she confirmed that the products were being removed from shelves. “The labels didn’t match up with the food that was in the can, so they’re redoing them.”
Earlier, a Hill’s Pet Nutrition rep on Facebook offered only a short response, saying: “There is no reason to be concerned. There is no health, safety or nutrition issue with any of the products listed above. It is safe to feed as intended.”
Here’s a screenshot:
That short response raised more questions than it answered:
– If there was nothing wrong, why were the products being withdrawn?
– Why was there no bigger announcement?
– And why hasn’t the company been more forthcoming?
“The most troubling aspect,” writes Mollie Morrissette at Poisoned Pets, “is that there will be consumers who are unaware that they have a dog food sitting on their shelves at home that might be harmful to them or their dog. Or it could simply be a labeling issue, we don’t know.”
The labeling issue, according to our source, Mia, is to blame in this case, thankfully. That means your pet is probably safe, though you might not end up with the food you thought you were feeding.
A commenter named John at Truth About Pet Food backs this up, saying: “I work for a pet food retailer, and last week we received a letter stating … they mislabeled some ingredients.”
We here at Petful will keep you updated as we learn more details. Listed below are the products that are being withdrawn from stores.
Maker: Hill’s Pet Nutrition
Cause: Labeling problems
Announcement: Notice posted in some PetSmart stores, Nov. 28, 2015
What was recalled: This is actually a product withdrawal, rather than a recall. All date codes of the following canned dog foods are being withdrawn:
- Science Diet Dog Adult Perfect Weight Chicken & Vegetables, 12.8 oz., UPC #5274229750
- Ideal Balance Slim & Healthy Chicken, 12.8 oz., UPC #5274230770
- Science Diet Dog Small & Toy Adult Gourmet Beef Entrée, 5.8 oz., UPC #5274249660
- Science Diet Dog Small & Toy Mature Gourmet Beef Entrée, 5.8 oz., UPC #5274249680
- Science Diet Dog Adult Beef Entrée, 13 oz., UPC #5274270390
- Science Diet Dog Adult Beef & Chicken Entrée, 13 oz., UPC #5274270400
- Science Diet Dog Mature Adult Gourmet Beef Entrée, 13 oz., UPC #5274270560
If you have not done so already, we urge you to sign up now for Petful’s FREE recall alerts by email. Our free alerts are saving pets’ lives.
There were more recalls in 2015. See the previous one:
(Or browse recalls by brand name)