When I finally settled on the idea of a new name for Pets Adviser — part of a 6-month-long rebranding process — I nervously wondered how readers would react. Would they hate it?
Petful. What does it even mean?
I decided to pose that question to our longtime newsletter subscribers, offering brand-new Petful tote bags to 5 lucky winners. I was moved by their responses. We published the winning essays all last week, part of our final bow-wow for Pets Adviser and a way to usher in our new identity and kick off a brand-new era:
- Deborah Sanders told us that being petful is the highest state of awareness.
- Kathy Groux said it means putting your pets above all else.
- Donna J. Martin related how being petful means falling in love but also being prepared to let go.
- Joan Parker explained how it means saving another life.
- Kirsti Stephenson told us that being petful means loving all creatures.
We received many other responses. For example, Jane Moore created this amazing acronym:
- Friendship and
How cool is that?
So, as it turns out, all of my anxiety over the name change (and how people would react) was misplaced.
I think everyone instinctually knows what it means to be petful (or “petfull”). We’re all petful. If you’re here right now, you’re petful. It’s deep down inside of us because every one of us is passionate about creating the best outcome possible for companion animals everywhere.
You may be wondering: Am I sad that Pets Adviser is gone? Yes, of course I am. I poured 6 years of my life into it.
But the truth is, Pets Adviser and the incredible team behind it haven’t really gone anywhere. We’re still right here, better than ever before. We built this new website from the ground up for you because we wanted a place where people like us could meet up, exchange ideas, make friends and help pets everywhere live happier lives.
I hope you’ll join me right now as a member of our brand-new community here at Petful.com. There are many benefits:
- You get a profile page on our site.
- You can make friends with other members and share photos of your pets.
- You’ll get access to exclusive contests and members-only deals.
- You can ask (and answer) questions in our forums.
- Best of all, you’ll start earning Paw Points — get enough of them and you can redeem them for a donation in your name to your favorite nonprofit animal shelter or rescue!
So, what are you waiting for? I’ll see you on the forums!