Inexpensive and nutritious, liver cake is the perfect way to show your dog how much you love them.
It’s sinfully delicious — well, if you’re a dog, that is.
Several years ago, I found this liver cake recipe for dogs. The cake is rich and contains a lot of calories, so it’s not intended to replace regular pet food.
Save it for special occasions, such as your dog’s next birthday party. Invite some puppy pals, and you’ll be the most popular pet parent on the block. Bouncy house optional.
Other recipes for liver cake call for garlic — but not this one.
Instead, this liver cake is frosted with pumpkin and cream cheese. Pumpkin has several health benefits for dogs. Find a brand of canned pumpkin that doesn’t have added sugars.
Liver Cake Recipe for Dogs
- 1 tablespoon butter or shortening
- 1 lb. raw beef liver
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup whipped light cream cheese (optional)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a cake pan with butter or shortening.
- Puree the liver in a blender or food processor.
- Combine liver, flour and eggs in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Frost the liver cake with cream cheese and/or canned pumpkin.
This liver cake recipe makes 8 servings for small dogs and 4 for large dogs.
Warning: Even if you’re adventurous, you do NOT want to eat a sample. Trust me. To human noses, this liver cake smells even worse than it tastes.
Yes, your house will reek for a couple of hours — but isn’t your spoiled baby worth it?
—Recipe courtesy of Marcia R.
Don’t Miss These Other Great Recipes From Petful: