Dog Runs Up a $12,000 Bill for Eating Raisins

A 5-year-old Labrador was known for eating everything in sight, but he a very large bill after getting hold of a package of raisins.

Raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. By: jeepersmedia
Raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. By: jeepersmedia

Charlie, a 5-year-old Labrador Retriever from Scotland, ran up quite the vet bill when he jumped onto the kitchen counter and ate a package of raisins.

The dog is known for eating just about anything, says Louise Middleton. She even has to hide the socks in the house or he will eat them.

Charlie was rushed to animal emergency after eating the raisins, and Middleton was told to expect the worst. His kidneys were not working, and the outcome looked grim.

Veterinarian Tracy Hill administered treatment and dialysis to Charlie, and the dog was able to bounce back. He is doing well and should be home soon.

Middleton was thrilled Charlie was going to be OK, but the bill for treatment had reached a whopping $12,168.80.

Dr. Hill says Charlie was “one very lucky boy — without the dialysis he would have died.”

A local vet school warned against the dangers of grapes and raisins, which can cause kidney failure and death in dogs.

Source: Scotsman

Kristine Lacoste

View posts by Kristine Lacoste
Kristine Lacoste, editor in chief of Petful, is an author, poet and pet lover from Louisiana. She is the author of an award-nominated book, One Unforgettable Journey, and was host of a weekly pet news segment on the National K-9 Academy Radio Show. She was the New Orleans coordinator for Dogs on Deployment, a nonprofit that helps military members and their pets, for 3 years. She is also employed as chief operating officer for a large mental health practice in Louisiana. Kristine has a bachelor’s degree in psychology, a bachelor’s degree in English and a Master of Business Administration degree.

Please share this with your friends below:


Also Popular

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!