Greenlee Marie Buckley, a 10-year-old girl from New Boston, Texas, died last weekend while trying to save kittens who were trapped behind a dryer at her house.
Emergency responders rushed to the home, performed CPR and took Greenlee to the hospital. She was pronounced dead when she arrived.
The investigation is still underway, but authorities believe electrocution may have been the cause of death.
Also on Petful
See Dave’s favorite dog food brand…
The girl’s mother, Shelby Roos, announced her daughter’s death in a Facebook post, saying, “She had more compassion for everything living at 10 years old than most will have in a lifetime.”
Greenlee had planned to become a veterinarian when she grew up.
Roos concluded her Facebook post by saying, “Take peace in the fact that she is in heaven getting love from all the animals she loved with her whole heart.”
The family had previously filed complaints about electrical problems in their rented home. Greenlee’s father, Scott Hendrix, told KSLA that the family had been living in the home for about 15 months.
“There’s no reason our baby should be gone,” Hendrix said.
The power has been turned off in the home while authorities investigate, and the family has moved out.
According to Plant Based News, “Roos and Hendrix hope to set up a fund for a local rescue in Greenlee’s honor.”
The family has created a GoFundMe page to honor Greenlee’s passion for helping animals, which as of today has already raised nearly $9,000.
In honor of Greenlee’s life and legacy, Petful has donated $500 toward this cause. This donation helps us fulfill our mission to help pets everywhere live happier, healthier lives.
Greenlee’s posthumous fund has already chosen its first 4-legged beneficiary: a sweet, malnourished former bait dog named Gunner, whose nails were filed down and front legs heartlessly broken.
Thanks to this little girl’s rescue fund, Gunner and other needy pets will be getting the help they need.
Greenlee would be so proud.
Please share this with your friends below: