Americans spend around $58 billion each year just on their pets.
That is an astounding number. Here are some more numbers I saw recently in an American Express spending report:
- People who have dogs spend around $100 per month on average.
- Men spend 30 percent more on pets each month than women.
With 2 out of every 5 American households having at least 1 dog (usually 2), these statistics are not surprising.
Although the report didn’t contain information about food and medical costs, it did reveal that more than half of Americans who have dogs will spend a significant amount of money on pampering their pooches. Here are just a few of the amenities:
- Special-occasion gifts — 44 percent
- Dog toys — 48 percent
- Dog-friendly hotel stays — 12 percent
People will also spend the big bucks on doggy day care, spas, gourmet treats, grooming, cute outfits, fancy collars and sumptuous bedding.
About 10 years ago, cats were the most popular pets in America. However, according to the 2007 U.S. Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook, those figures changed.
|Percentage of households||37.2%||32.4%|
|Number of households||43,021,000||37,460,000|
|Average number per household||1.7||2.2|
|Total number in United States||72,114,000||81,721,000|
|Veterinary visits per household per year||2.6||1.7|
|Veterinary expenditure per household per year||$356||$190|
|Veterinary expenditure per animal||$200||$81|
More recent figures are even larger:
- 82.5 million U.S. households now have at least 1 pet, according to a 2013–2014 survey from the American Pet Products Association,
- Americans spend an average of $11,000 per pet during its lifetime, according to some estimates.
Finally, here’s a bonus statistic for you: 25 percent of people with pets have tasted pet food!
* * *
Editor’s Note: This post was revised on March 6, 2015, to reflect an updated figure — $58 billion — on how much Americans spend on their pets each year. Photo by geckoam/Flickr.
Tell Us What's on Your Mind. Join us on our community forums and chat with other people who are passionate about pets. Start Here.